Friday, October 12, 2012

Meet Miss Subways



To pass the time while I'm stuck on the couch sick, I've been reading, watching a lot of movies, and having staring contests with Hypatia. I've also been mindlessly looking at things on the internet ... I may or may not have gone through all 80 pictures in a slideshow about Jennifer Aniston's hair.

But sometimes meandering about the web leads to some pretty awesome finds. This morning I stumbled upon this article about Miss Subways, a NYC beauty contest that lasted from the early forties through the mid seventies. The article is fascinating (a photographer tracked down about 40 former Miss Subways for a photo exhibition at the NY Transit Museum) but my favorite part are the posters themselves, and what each girl had to say about herself and her hopes for the future. I think my favorite is "plugging for B.A. but would settle for M.R.S."