Thursday, June 30, 2016

live every week like it's shark week



Yesterday I saw Jaws for the first time! It was on my 30 before 30 watchlist, and it's the 3rd film from that list that I got to see on the big screen (the others were Blade Runner and City Lights.) The Garden in Princeton was showing it as part of their Hollywood Summer Nights series, and slyly scheduled it the same week as Shark Week. My mom came with me, and it was her first time seeing it since it was first released 41 years ago. She actually saw it at The Garden in 1975! I thought that symmetry was kind of cool :)

I have no idea how this movie stayed off my radar for so long. I went into this completely naive -- I had no idea how it ended, who was in it, nothing. I knew it was about sharks, and that was about it. I wasn't actually expecting to like it as much as I did! I just wanted to see it so I could finally get the cultural references and because it seems like the kind of movie you really SHOULD see if you're going to call yourself a movie buff. But I was pleasantly surprised, I enjoyed it so much that it made it into my favorite new-to-me movies of 2016. It was the kind of experience where you really get wrapped up in the plot and are able to detach yourself from pesky thoughts for a couple hours. I think that's the best kind of movie -- give me escapism or give me death!

Anyway, here is a little shark-themed outfit to go with Jaws and Shark Week! The patch features a quote from 30 Rock (Tracy Jordan gives Kenneth the Page the advice, "live every week like it's shark week") but even if you're not a fan of the show, I think the advice should still apply ;) The patch is available in my shop right here.




jean jacket - asos | shirt - forever 21 | skirt - shop mallory